For over a decade, we have been building bridges between people of different cultures, races and faiths in Bristol and beyond, recognising that we have more in common than divides us. We know that to live well together, we need to connect with people from different backgrounds and create welcoming spaces for those new to our communities.
Some of the ways we do this include:
- Peace Feast connecting people through sharing stories, food and music.
- School Linking bringing children together to challenge prejudice and encourage friendships.
- Befriend providing Asylum Seekers and Refugees in Bristol with one to one support.
- Stitching Together sewing classes for refugee women alongside local volunteers.
- Walk With Me connecting refugees and asylum seekers into local communities to share walks in green spaces.
- RefuLingua enabling people from refugee and migrant backgrounds to gain employment or work experience.
Donate today to help us connect more people in 2024.
Meet Doaa and Walker
Doaa and Walker first met through Befriend, which connects people seeking asylum or those with refugee status with someone locally.
Doaa “The first month was so difficult for me, to be here by myself, not knowing where to go. I was in my room all day. I wasn’t going out. I’d barely talk with people. So, even if I have to go to any appointment, or for example I need to go to the store, I really don’t know the way.”
“Whenever I go out with her (Walker), my whole week would be so amazing. I really don’t think of anything, I relax a lot. I think she’s a blessing for me in my life. She appeared in my life that way, like a blessing.”
Walker “Its such a great opportunity to show new people to Bristol, welcome them and help them out… It’s really fun, we’re really similar people in a strange way. Its just a lot of jokes and a lot of walking around and exploring places. I’m naturally a very outdoorsy kind of person. Doaa’s really adventurous so we’re good!”
Photo: One of our Peace Feast events which bring people together around a meal.
How you can help
Many of us know what it is like to not feel understood or welcome, or to be lonely and isolated in a new place.
We want everyone to be part of kinder, fairer, and more welcoming communities, and we will continue to work towards this goal – but we know we can’t do it without you!
This Christmas, we’re asking people to help us raise £5,000 to support our work in 2024. Any donation would be hugely appreciated – thank you.