We offer a range of training courses that develop cultural awareness and equip people and organisations to be more welcoming and more effective in relating to today’s interconnected world.
Welcome to the UK
This course helps recent arrivals in the UK to process their transition and adapt to life here. Ideally delivered as 2 half-day sessions or 4 two-hour sessions, it explores the roots of British culture, social norms, social etiquette, cultural values and transition. Participants are equipped with the tools they need to make a good start to life in their new country.
At the end of this course, participants will:
- Have a better understanding of British culture
- Be more confident in navigating social situations
- Have a better understanding of key systems and processes that may differ from their country of origin
- Understand their rights and responsibilities in the UK
We can provide this course in English or in Arabic, either in-person on online, and have successfully delivered it for people arriving through Bristol City Council’s Resettlement Projects as well as for numerous families who have arrived through Community Sponsorship groups in the South West.
Supporting Refugees & Asylum Seekers
This 2 – 4 hour course enables volunteers to more effectively welcome and support people who have fled war or persecution and are new to the UK. By gaining a better understanding of the reasons that refugees come to the UK, the challenges they face along the way as well as when they get here, and by looking at principles of cross-cultural interaction, volunteers will be better prepared for the role they are undertaking.
At the end of this course, volunteers will:
- Have a greater understanding of reasons for forced displacement
- Understand some of the challenges that people claiming asylum in the UK face
- Be better equipped to provide support that is helpful for new arrivals, building independence rather than dependence
- Have cultural awareness around issues that could cause misunderstanding or mistrust
We have delivered this training for numerous Community Sponsorship groups around the South West as well as partner organisations in Bristol.
Cultural Awareness Training
This 2 hour session helps people understand the role culture plays in shaping our experiences and expectations in life, as well as preparing them to relate more effectively to people from different cultural backgrounds or perspectives. By reflecting on our own cultural influences, and by seeking to understand those of others, it helps to prepare people for cross-cultural experiences, for working in multicultural teams and for living in today’s multicultural society.
At the end of this programme, you will:
- Understand the role culture plays in communities and in society
- Have a better understanding of your own cultural influences
- Have greater understanding of other cultural perspectives and norms
- Have some tools for living well with difference
We have delivered this training to several organisations in Bristol including the Job Centre, the NHS and Bristol Refugee Festival.
Book a training
If you would like us to provide training for you then please get in touch with us for more information.